This Privacy Notice explains how School Leaders Scotland collects, manages, uses and protects your data. It outlines the type of data we hold and how we use that data to provide services to our members.
Our legal basis for processing your data
SLS processes and stores personal information relating to SLS members. In addition SLS processes and stores information relating to organisations who support and work with the association. For purposes other than membership of SLS information is processed in line with our legitimate interests in
- Communicating with members
- Providing benefits to members
- Enabling SLS to achieve its strategic and operational goals
We may contact you by post, e-mail or phone.
Where your data comes from
The data held by SLS is that obtained directly from the members when they join the association or when they change post or work location.
The data we hold
We hold the following information about our members:
- Your contact details
- Bank details
- Employment details
- Trade union membership
- A log of any interactions with you, including notes of meetings with you
How we use your data
We will use your details to manage your interaction with SLS and to contact you by post, e-mail, phone, text and/or social media complying with the preferences you express in the Rights and Preferences section.
We will contact you to
- Keep you informed of SLS news
- Tell you about the benefits of SLS membership, including discounts and services
- Tell you of CPD/Training events
- Payment of subscriptions
- Providing pastoral and legal support
- Determining eligibility for membership
If you provide contact details, and unless you specify otherwise, we will assume this includes consent for the purposes listed above. If we lose touch with you we may make use of publicly available contact details to re-establish contact with you and, if appropriate, update your contact details.
Protecting your data
The personal information we obtain is processed in accordance with all relevant data protection legislation. Your data is always processed and transmitted securely, protected against unauthorised or unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage. Your data will not be disclosed to any external organisations.
Your Rights and Preferences
We try to ensure that the data we hold for you is up to date and not excessive. You have the right to
- Be informed as to how we use your data
- Access or request a copy of the data we hold about you
- Update your information and/or manage your communications preferences at any time
- Opt out of specific types of processing
- Ask us to remove your data from our records
- Withdraw consent, where it is used as a legal basis for processing
At any time you can
- Update your details
- Specify your communication preferences
- Contact us to tell us about your preferences
Except as otherwise permitted or required by law we will retain your personal data only for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice please contact us at
School Leaders Scotland
New College Lanarkshire
50 Southbank Road
T: 0141 404 2792
E: Please use the contact form
If you are not satisfied by our actions you can seek recourses by contacting our office. Should you remain dissatisfied you have the right to refer the matter to the Information Commissioner at:
Information Commissioner’s Office